Friday, January 13, 2012

What a Difference A Year Makes

What a difference a year makes. This time last year we were spending two hours getting Sam to bed, and then re-tucking him in at midnight and 3 am before being up for the day at 5 am. All of this done with many tears and fits (from the entire family). This was before we knew Sam was having a difficult time breathing and we had no idea what kind of sleep-hating monster had inhabited our son.

Fast forward to January 2012. Life is good. It is sustainable. Sam is a dream to put to bed. And tonight I got all wobbly kneed with his parting comments:

"Mommy, do you know how much I love you? I love you more than a dog loves his tail. I love you more than a raven loves his treasure. And I love you more than a whale loves his spout. And wanna know how long I'll love you? I will love you until the stars turn into fish and the puffin howls at the moon."**

**Of course, it's quite possibly these are phrases he picked up from an obnoxious children's TV show. And if he has, feel free to NOT tell me. Just let me live in my nice little poetic world of ignorance. 

I love the sleep "surrender" position.

Note the animals he stuffs up between the beams of his bunk bed. The kid sleeps in a menagerie.




1 comment:

Emilie Hoffman said...

oh my goodness, warms my heart. and that position is really cute and funny and cute.