Thursday, December 15, 2011

Give Sam a Gun and Watch Him "Hunt"

Sam loves animals. Anyone who has come within a five foot radius of Sam knows this to be the case. So imagine my surprise when he expressed an interest in hunting.

I should back up a bit. Sam saw the movie "Bambi" for the first time about a year and a half ago. I watched him watch with much trepidation, ready to turn it off if the death of his mother was too much for him. It wasn't. And I didn't have the heart to tell him that the movie's closing scene was not Bambi's mother coming back from the dead but was in fact Bambi's girlfriend.

Two days ago Sam announced, "Someday I want to go hunting with Uncle Tom."

"You do?" I asked.

"Yup."

"You do know what hunting is, right, Sam? People kill animals when they hunt."

"Yes, and I will be there to warn the animals."

That sounds more like the boy I know.

Last night I had the priviledge of eavesdropping on a story he was telling his two stuffed cats before he fell asleep:

"One day, a long, long time ago, there were two cats. Their names were American Road Runner Cat and Peregrine Falcon Tiger Cat  Flying Box--Flying Box was the last part of their names. One day a hunter came to shoot you guys [referring to the cats in bed with him]. When he saw the cats he was so scared he shooted himself. Then you came back to my room. The end."

Just let me know when you want to schedule a trip, Uncle Tom.

2 comments:

Randy said...

I love the names. He would enjoy The Woogie Norple Story.

The Rupps said...

My favorite part of every Sam story is the closing sentence by you.

LOVE reading everything you write on thisblog, but especially all things Sam.