Sunday, September 18, 2011

Appropriate Pets for Toddlers

As I've mentioned before, Sam wants a pet. So much so that he has taken matters into his own hands and has acquired some pets on his own.

Houseflies: 
Sam has begun naming and claiming the few random houseflies that have wandered into our house. So far their names are:
"Fly-Fly"
"Ketchup"
"French-Fly"
and 
"Take-A-Break-Fly"
Sam actually thinks he can distinguish between houseflies. He'll say something like, "There goes Fly-Fly. Oh wait! That's Ketchup."

Imaginary Pets:
Three days ago Sam introduced me to "Sweet", a dog that he carries around and let's sleep on his tummy.

Other People's Pets:
We dog sat for a neighbor this past week. When we walked into their house Sam began to yell, "Mommy, come see this new pet I just got from the pet store! He's all mine!"

Caterpillar:
And just yesterday Sam discovered a caterpillar in our entry hall (not sure how that happened). I came home from running errands and saw Sam sitting next to a series of blocks that were arranged to create a fence/home for his caterpillar. I convinced him to put it in a jar which we filled with sticks and dirt and leaves (do caterpillars need water?).

Sam has become very attached to his little caterpillar. I know this for two reasons:

1) He named it "Stay Forever Caterpillar"
and
2) "Stay-Forever" slept in Sam's bed last night

So the vibe I'm getting from my son is that he would really like a pet. Does that sound about right to you?

2 comments:

The Rupps said...

I think you have the most spectacular kid on earth. Coming from a proud mother of four, you can really take that as a compliment.

:)

Elizabeth Turner said...

....the post in which I search mindlessly for a while online for the Malcolm in the Middle clip of Dewey's ill-fated relationship with the housefly he christens "Tony"...