Sunday, June 05, 2011

Could This Be Our New Normal? Pretty Please?

Friday night: Asleep by 9:30 pm after 20 minutes of crying. Woke up at 4:17 am and cried for 31 minutes. Woke up for the day at 6:45 am.

Saturday night: Asleep by 8:00 pm after 30 minutes of crying. Woke up at 4:19 am and cried for 17 minutes. Woke up for the day at 6:45 am.

Saturday's stats indicate that Sam slept more last night than he has for a long, long time. I've been astounded by the changes in his daytime behavior after a decent night's sleep. He didn't throw a single fit today. He went to Sunday School with a smile. He stayed in his chair at the restaurant. He told us every single time he needed to use the restroom. He was downright pleasant.

Tonight he fell asleep on his own at 7:45 pm. No tears. No getting out of bed. Just a brief quiver of the lip. I cannot remember the last time Sam went to bed this easily. July of 2010 perhaps? I walked downstairs in a daze trying not to get my hopes up that this could be our new normal.

We expected the sleep re-introduction plan to be much harder. We expected it to take longer. I know it will probably get rougher as he's completely weened off his sleep medication, and I'm bracing myself for setbacks, but for now I'm simply grateful.

This gratefulness is occasionally punctuated with extreme annoyance that we were not doing this sleep regiment months ago. But I have to remind myself that we would have enforced a sleep regiment on a 3-year-old with a serious breathing problem. I have to remind myself that we were not simply being indulgent parents, we were following the advice of numerous doctors who said numerous times, "Do not attempt to modify behavior" until we can figure out what's going on medically speaking.

Tomorrow we should find out whether or not Sam will undergo surgery in the near future. And surprisingly, I'm not anxious. I'm simply grateful for a peaceful evening spent walking through campus, eating cookie dough ice cream, and chatting with an out of town friend.

Thank you for your prayers. They are keenly felt.

2 comments:

Keely Mikel said...

That is great Mandy! I've been praying for Sam and for you and John as well. So glad you are getting some answers!

Beck said...

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear all this. Thank you for your honesty in sharing along your journey. It's insightful to all of us going through any struggle with our babies to hear about your experiences. So glad you all are getting some sleep over there!