Monday, May 02, 2011

The One Book You Should Buy

January 3, 2011--Our bags were packed for Florida. We pulled out the scale and discovered our bag was four pounds overweight. "I'll bet I can find the extra four pounds," John declared. After a bit of rummaging John pulled out a book, "Do you really need to pack a hardback book for a four day trip?" He asked. "Yes," I replied with much resolve. The reason? John had pulled out Sarah Young's Jesus Calling, the book I have come to rely upon.

I love this book. Love it. When my mother gave it to me at Christmas I wondered if perhaps it was just another cheesy Christian daily devotional. It wasn't. I have been pleasantly surprised how seeped in Scripture this small book is. Each day holds Biblical reflections as well as what the author imagines Jesus might be saying to us. I am a fan of Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest. Young's book may surpass Chambers for me for the time being.

I regularly find a phrase that sticks out to me that becomes my meditation for the day. "A mind preoccupied with planning pays homage to the idol of control."

This is not just a feel good devotional. Just last night I shared a passage with John and said, "If someone said this to my face I might punch them. But I can accept it here."

Now of course some days connect with me more than others, but for the most part, this book has done nothing but aid in my connection with God.

And I don't think it's just for women, but some of you men will have to let me know.

Check it out!

1 comment:

Erik Fisher said...

I'm a guy, and this book sounds pretty good. I searched for it, and found this: http://www.jesuscallingapp.com/

There is an actual app of the book. Now the Nerd and the Christian sides of me can rejoice. Not that I have compartmentalized my life.

Dang it.