Friday, May 06, 2011

Better Stanley than Dwight...I Guess

Well, I met my first curmudgeon at Riley. I knew that there had to be someone somewhere. This one had the exact temperament of Stanley from "The Office." Not exactly the type of guy you want spending an hour with your child hooking him up to wires. Very few smiles. Very little patience. After an hour of staying still for the wires, Sam began to cry when "Stanley" put the tubes in his nostrils.

"I don't want it. I want to go home!" He said as he batted at Stanley's arms.

"Ma'am, he's got to do this or we can't do the study." Stanley said, exasperated.

"Do you have any ideas on how to make this easier for him?" I asked, thinking to myself, "He does this for a living surely he has a trick or two."

"We could tie down his arms on either side so he doesn't struggle." He wasn't joking.

"Would you mind leaving the room for a minute so I can be alone with Sam?" Was my response. 

He left.

After much soothing (and the aforementioned promised trip to Chuck E. Cheese) I said to Sam (and the camera that was recording our every move), "Sam, would you like it better if a woman came in to help you next?" 

"Yes," he hiccuped.

A few minutes passed. The door opened, and in walked Carlotta who was all sweetness and helped Sam get settled down.

That was my mixed attempt at passive aggressive assertiveness. Stating what it was I wanted for my child without having it say it to anyone's face.  

No comments: