Monday, May 10, 2010

The One Where I Met The Fonz

So I went to Wegmans tonight and ran into Henry Winkler. Here it is in all its minutia:

For those of you old enough to be my father, you'll know him as "The Fonz".

For those of you old enough to be my sibling, you'll know him as the Bluth family's lawyer.

For those of you old enough to have been an out-of-wedlock child of mine conceived in my late teen years, you'll know him as the author of the Hank Zipzer books.


Anyway, I was walking down an aisle at Wegmans when I spotted him about 20 feet away. We locked eyes and a large, goofy grin became plastered to my face. He paused as we passed, looked in my cart, and said,

"Look at that! You're very healthy."

(I had milk and eggs in my cart).

I replied, "I love 'Arrested Development.'"

"Well it's pretty crazy about you too," Henry said as he he rubbed my left arm.

And then I continued on my way.

Later, in the checkout line, I heard a woman say to the cashier, "Henry Winkler was here. Did you see him?"

"I did!" I said. "He touched my arm."

She squealed, ran over, and rubbed my arm.

Oh happy days!
_

7 comments:

Megan said...

I'm jealous. Sounds like a perfectly "Arrested Development" encounter.:)

Kathy said...

You crack me up! You have the craziest stories! that was a cool one for sure.

pk said...

I love this story. You really only said 4 words to him? Was there anything else? "See ya." "Nice to meet you." Anything? Just, "I love Arrested Development"???

Elizabeth said...

This made me smile! I'm jealous! :)

Gwen said...

I'm one of those Fonzie fans - I loved Happy Days! (Guess I'm old enough to be your mother :)

Christopher said...

I totally meant to go over there to give him a thumbs up. Oh the dissonance...>Winkler in Wegmans in New Jersey...

judahmo said...

Seriously? I'm old enough to be your father? I knew that I was older than a lot of the people at CRW, but I didn't realize I was *that* much older! ;-)

Shannon