Monday, May 17, 2010

High Risk

I like the term "high risk" when it comes to things like ropes courses or board game strategies. I am not a fan of the term when it comes to pregnancies. Unfortunately that's the category I currently find myself in.

The end of March had John and I sadly making our way to the ER thinking that we had just lost the baby. I was absolutely shocked to see a beating heart. Unfortunately, right above that beating heart was a large subchorionic hematoma (which is just a fancy way of saying "blood clot." The baby appears to be perfectly fine and is growing right on target, but with a hematoma this large (larger than the baby), the fear is that if it dislodges it will take the baby with it or somehow damage the placenta.

This is a wait-and-see situation. It's not really "safe" until the hematoma is gone. Most of these hematomas reabsorb by about 20 weeks, but I'm also aware of the women who have carried babies under these conditions only to lose the baby at 20 weeks. If it persists past 20 weeks there is an increased risk of pre-term labor. Despite these risks I think we're in a good spot. We're taking it a day at a time, operating as if all will be well, and doing our best to not imagine ourselves in scenarios we are not directly facing.

So we wait. I'm feeling fairly optimistic at this point. The last two ultrasounds showed the hematoma shrinking which is certainly a good sign, especially considering how large it was to begin with. I'll do another ultrasound in two weeks.

So thanks to all of you who have been praying, and who have randomly stopped by our apartment offering support. The meals, cards, and babysitting have been a huge blessing (particularly on those random days when I'm stuck in bed).

I'm hoping to share better news late next week!

1 comment:

Beck said...

Keeping your name on my lips. :)