Monday, January 26, 2009

Color by Number: My Trip to England

Flight there:
5 hours of birthday celebration I missed out on when I flew to Heathrow on January 2nd. Next year I'm flying west. In the meantime, I've been enjoying cashing in an hour here and there for what I'm calling, "Mandy's birthday: the extended version").
2 the number of times the woman sitting next to me spritzed herself with perfume
10 the number of hot dog buns that the woman sitting next to me was traveling with. I don't know why.
1 the number of times the woman sitting next to me laid her arm on top of my arm, using me as an arm rest.
20 the number of seconds I waited before reclaiming my arm


My peeps

Time in Cambridge at IASYM
3 number of days at Fitzwallace College without heat
3 number of layers that I slept in
3 number of days in a row I wore my Smartwool socks
36 number of hours of a stomach virus
0 number of dart games I won

Cambridge at night

Time in London, etc. with the John
2 number of friends I randomly ran into (Jack in Oxford and Pam at the London Tower)
1 number of free hotel upgrades--ahhhh--heated tiles in the bathroom
6 number of rows away we were from the stage for Les Miserable
2 number of smart cars I saw in London. For some reason I thought the streets would be teeming with these cars. Nope. Mostly hatchbacks and mini coopers.
4 number of Tolkien/Lewis haunts visited
0 number of donuts eaten. A record?
3 number of trashcans I saw. Seriously. No trashcans.
4 number of curry meals enjoyed. Yes, Mom, I really do like curry.


Where Tolkien and Lewis hung out

Flight home
2 number of alarm clocks that failed on the morning we needed to leave for the airport
1 number of bags I left on the tube on my way to the airport
1 number of macbooks left in the bag on the tube on the way to the airport
2 number of final seminar papers in my macbook left in the bag on the tube on the way to the airport.
1 number of times I fell to the ground in utter despair that I had left a bag on the tube on my way to the airport. Seriously. To the ground. Head between my knees, panic mode. And there I stayed for fifteen minutes.
1 number of bags recovered from the tube when it doubled back from its final destination


John joined me for the last few days

12 comments:

denise said...

I totally forgot to warn you about the lack of trash cans - it really is weird but related to the bombings a few years ago. Once I actually tentatively handed a handful of yucky garbage to a ticketing agent at Heathrow because I didn't know what else to do with it. Surprisingly, she smiled back with great understanding.

Amanda said...

Ah! Denise, I think you know just about everything. This makes sense. My world feels right again.

Kari said...

NOOO!! I can't believe the bag was still there! That is so amazing!

Christin said...

Thank you thank you thank you for letting us live vicariously.
I can't believe you got the bag back either!! Maybe all those cameras posted around London really are helping....

Sharon said...

What a fun read...esp. the Macbook story, and to "see" London thru your clever writing once again! You two look wonderfully rested in that last photo :)

elizabeth said...

2- Number of times I read your post and cracked up!
2- Number of kids I scared as I laughed out loud hysterically by myself sitting at the computer.
365- Number of days a year I am glad we are friends and glad that you have such a wonderful funny blog to read.

Glad you had a wonderful trip Mandy! You have a special talent for the ministry and I see God using you even through reading your posts.

Josh said...

SHEEEESSHHH!!! Great post! I would have DIED with that perfume...and probably started going off on her with that "really" sketch from SNL weekend update.

Gwen said...

The lady spritzing the perfume is the one where I felt your pain... ugh!!! In flight with a perfume fragrance of any kind is most sickening.

I once sat behind a lady on a flight to Peru who smelled like a rose garden and I absolutely couldn't stand it.

So glad your bag came back to you! Amazing!

Lenny Luchetti said...

Hello Amanda. Great blog. I'm trying to get a hold of John's email but can' locate it. I hate to interupt your blog, ut can you forward me John's email address.

Did you see John Wesley in London..I hear he and Elvis have become friends!

Lenny Luchetti said...

Oh, yeh, my email is laluchetti@verizon.net

Lenny

Kathy said...

what a great wrap up of your trip!! clever!

Anonymous said...

you forgot the number 1...

1 for when you make up that song called "Me, Myself, and I" and then made up a tune and tried to sing it in such a manner that no one in that car, until their death bed, will ever forget.

nate s.