Monday, November 10, 2008

Setting the record straight

Sometimes the line between fact and fiction gets a little blurry. I've been known to refer to a recently committed heinous crime only to have John respond with, "Um, actually, Mandy, that was on 'Law and Order' last night."

That happens when my brain is running on all cylinders. So it's only natural that if I'm hopped up on morphine for a week that pesky fact/fiction line might get even fuzzier.

That said, I feel the need to qualify last weeks posts.

At one point I referred to a nurse who in the middle of the night told me to call her "Loud Beth." I saw her the next morning and said, "Hi Beth." To which she responded, "It's Carol."

Other than that, I think everything else I wrote was true. I do know that Wilson really did exist. I didn't make her up--John can testify to that. And we really did become friends. When I left she smiled, bowed her head, and murmured something in Mandarin which I believe could be roughly translated as, "Goodbye, beautiful fairy princess. Thank you for being a beacon of light in this dreary place."

6 comments:

Megan said...

Mandy, the world needs more bloggers like you. Your entries NEVER fail to make me laugh, all by myself, out loud. Thank goodness for the Internet, or your humor would just remain in my memories from high school.

elizabeth said...

mandy-

Ahh Morphine... Caring for people on Morphine is one of my biggest job perks. Just this weekend I walked into my patient's room and found her trying to light and smoke her pulse oximeter,( it is a little sticker that fits on the end of your finger and has a red light on it). The best part was watching her light it. She did that cup thing with one hand while trying to get her " lighter " to light with the other. Those hospital rooms can be quite windy you know! Glad to hear you are on the mend. I hope you continue to feel better. Say hello to Sam!
Liz

Amanda said...

Oh Liz, the fun we could have had were you my nurse...

Gwen said...

Mandy, I'm so glad you are home! You certainly kept your sense of humor through it all.

I'm sure the men in your life are glad to have you back! Sorry about the burst pipe... bummer!

Kara said...

Mandy,
This is my coming out post.
Yes, I read your blog.
I'm constantly amused by it.
This one made me guffaw, so thanks.
If you wish to block lurkers like me, let me know.
~ Kara Lyons-Pardue

Amanda said...

Lurk away, Kara. And your comment made me laugh, so thanks for returning the favor.

Mandy