Sunday, October 05, 2008

Those Trixy Doctors

I came away from Sam's 9-month check-up feeling tricked. During the visit I had the following conversation with his pediatrician:

Doctor: How does Sam sleep at night.
Me: Great. He does really well.
Doctor: Good. What's he doing?
Me: He goes to bed at 7 pm and wakes up at 7 am. I normally feed him sometime between 2-3 am.
Doctor: You know Sam doesn't have to eat anymore in the middle of the night.
Pause.
Me: What?
Doctor: At six months babies are capable of sleeping through the night without a feeding. You can let him cry it out.

I suppose that's good information to receive...I just wish I had received it, oh, I don't know, three months ago? I felt a bit tricked when I learned I could have been getting some extra sleep. Almost as tricked as I felt after Sam was born and I learned there was a little button I could have pressed to increase the epidural...but that's a story for another day.

Anyway, just when I was getting up the nerve to let Sam cry it out, he surprised me and slept all night. All night. 7 pm to 7 am without a peep. And yes, I was convinced he had stopped breathing. So far it doesn't seem to be a fluke. He's been sleeping through the night for the past week. It's a new era in the Drury household.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Mandy-
Congratulations!!! I am happy to hear of your new found success. I am still waiting for that 6mo. mark. William seems happy to still wake up twice a night. I am sorry you feel tricked. I laughed at what you said about the epidural button. I also found out about this " button " right before Emma arrived. I think it occurred shortly after I commented on how over-rated epidurals were. Good luck on you and Sam's part time modeling careers. I do hope you are able to remember your next photo shoot though. Maybe a big fat royalties check would refresh your memory!

Kathy said...

ahhh...sleep. such a wonderful thing. I am glad you are to this point. Enjoy.

Keith Drury said...

You can tell Sam all about those nights you got up to feed him when he turns 16 and is getting wel, getting 16... it could make him feel guilty enough to be nicer ... ;-)