Saturday, August 02, 2008

White Stationary Offends Me

As mentioned in earlier posts, John often says that I attract strange people. I remind him that he married me. But it's happened again.

The other day I was walking through a gift store when a woman approached me holding brown stationary with blue dots.

Woman: Excuse me, do you think the rip in the cellophane is very noticeable?
Me: Not at all. You can barely see it.
Woman: It's for a gift, do you think it would be okay?
Me: Yeah, I think that would be fine.
Woman: Well, it's marked down 50% and you can't really beat that.
Me: No, you can't. I think that's a good gift.
Woman: You do? Even though it has that tiny rip?
Me: Yes, you can barely even see it.

And here's where the conversation started to go off course.

Woman: It's for my son's teacher. You think it would make a good teacher gift?
Me: I think it would make a good teacher gift.
Woman: But his teacher is African American.
Me: (Long pause) Okaaaay?
Woman: And the stationary is brown.
Me: (Even longer pause) Okaaaaaaaaay?
Woman: Well, I wouldn't want to offend an African American by giving them brown stationary.
Me: I think you'll be fine.
Woman: I don't want to offend her.
Me: (Another long pause) I. Think. You're. Going. To. Be. Okay.
Woman: You really think so? I just want to make sure--I'm very sensitive about these matters.

Yes. Very sensitive indeed.

5 comments:

Kari said...

Maybe you attract strange people because you keep talking to them? =) I would have walked away at first contact. ha.

Kristina Zirschky said...

This totally cracked me up!

Christy... said...

hahahahahahah!!!!!

reversealchemy said...

That is soooo funny. And I thought it was odd that I get asked for directions a lot.

David Drury said...

I'm going to give you skinny white stationary for Christmas this year.