Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Singapore: Day 3



So I'm in Singapore. I've been away from Sam for 64 hours...I think...I'm still a bit confused with the time change.

I've been thankful for the busy schedule because it keeps me from dwelling on the baby that I'm not holding. Every time I walk by a mother and child, however, my heart skips a beat and I catch my breath (seeing triplets about made me hyperventilate). I miss his head resting on my shoulder and his forehead pressing against my neck.

But Singapore is where I am, so Singapore is where I'm trying to be.

Highlights so far:
*Chinatown
*Listening to Kenda preach...listening to an interpreter deliver Kenda's sermon in Chinese...listening to Dr. Seow from PTS snicker and re-interpret what was said in Chinese (so "Ministry can be wacky" became, "Minister is awful". And "In over our heads" became, "Your head is split.")
*Dr. Seow share his life story as we ate coconut ice in his home country.
* Lots and lots of laughing with my colleagues. Lots of laughing.

Lowlights:

*I managed the get the ant-infested room. In the past hour I've counted 8 ants that have crawled out of my computer...not ON to my computer, OUT of my computer. Does that warrant a trip to the Apple Store when I return to the States?
*It's hot. Really, really hot. No air-conditioning in the room. The condensation has condensation.

Anyway, tomorrow marks day one of the conference. My first session is at 3:05 pm which is 3:05 am your time...if you're awake, feel free to say a prayer or two.

2 comments:

Christin said...

Oh Mandy, I'm so thrilled and excited for you! What an amazing opportunity! I can't wait to read all about it as you experience it.

Sharon said...

Thanks for this peek into your Singapore experience. You always find ways to turn lemons into lemonade! Love ya!