Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Flying is So Much Better With Your Pants Off

I will never travel internationally without a change of clothes in my carry-on again. About an hour into our flight from Detroit to Japan I managed to spill an entire cup of apple juice on my pants. All over my pants. Lovely. I was hoping the attendants would upgrade me to first class. No such luck. And now that I think about it, why would they want a twenty-something with a bad case of the dropies next to the aviating elite?

So...after much laughter and many napkins, I went to the bathroom, washed my pants in the sink, and emerged in a sarong fashioned out of a blue airplane blanket. I returned to my seat in my flimsy blue blanket and realized it was time for me to pump. Needless to say I was feeling a bit vulnerable.

My pants, by the way, were draped across the emergency exit lever on the door which I can't imagine is exactly legal.

Thankfully, they were dry by the time we reached Tokyo...that says something about how long the flight was--that a pair of soaking wet pants could entirely dry in the course of a flight.

4 comments:

Paula, Bobby, Rebekah, and Sarah said...

Wow Mandy!! I can't even imagine trying to pump on a plane!! Did you go in the bathroom or did you just cover yourself up in your seat? And then having to do it without any pants on. I would have died. Your milk probably came in because of all the craziness!! You have much more strength than I.

Jen said...

I feel for you! On a flight home from LAX I spilled apple juice all over myself, too. I wasn't as creative as you were, so I had to sit in my damp, smelly seat the whole time. There's nothing quite like that. :)

Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful, in a good way!

Kathy said...

OK -- I admit I was behind in reading your blog but I am now caught up. You continue to be hilarious in your writings. If nothing pans out after getting your doctorite you could always do comedy writing instead of flipping burgers. Have a great trip!

Gwen said...

Hmmm, I wouldn't want to be the next person to get your seat. "Does something smell like sour apples or sour milk?"