Friday, June 27, 2008

Carnivorous Vegan

Okay, I think a clarification is needed. A number of you have called or written expressing concern that I was only eating jello and celery because of Sam's allergies. That was a bit of an exaggeration. I can eat more than jello and celery. I can also eat hummus and pixie stix.

Actually, there are a lot of things I can eat. As you can see by the title of this post, I'm pretty much a carnivorous vegan. I can eat the cow...just not the stuff that comes from the cow.

This has made for some interesting interactions at the grocery store. I go to WholeFoods and get smug smiles from people with dreadlocks and birkenstocks as they watch my vegan cookies, rice milk and organic cherries go across the conveyor belt. They smile as if we have a secret alliance against the world. "Ha! No animal products in this reusable grocery bag."

And then the porterhouse comes out and their smiles fade.

1 comment:

Beck said...

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.