Thursday, April 03, 2008

I spoke too soon...



Just when we thought we were getting into a pattern the little guy decided to wake us up every hour and a half. We were told to only feed him if he was hungry. But how do you know if a 3.5 month old is hungry? I haven't figured that out yet.

To be perfectly honest, I can't even remember if we followed the Ferber rules. Last night was a bit of a blur. I know during two of the wake up times I offered him his pacifier and after fussing for 5 minutes he fell asleep again.

I'm hoping tonight will be better. Especially because John will be in Washington D.C. so I'll be by myself ...and I have a seminar tomorrow morning...that I'm supposed to lead. We'll see.

On the bright side, Sam was happy as a clam today and went down easily for his naps.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Oh Mandy-
So sorry to hear about little Sam's sleeping habits. I had my own little Sam named Emma Grace. She decided to wake up throughout the night also until almost 6 months old. I was sure that I was doing something wrong even when I would let her cry for 45-60 minutes straight. Even worse- Jason worked night shift at the time so I was left to ponder the things I must be doing wrong all night alone as I sat and cried and rocked my little bundle at 2 a.m.
The good news- one day she just stopped. I guess she decided that she had won and just stopped. I write this to say- let him cry. If you can stand it no more, then pick him up and hold your little baby and just hang on. It will get better. I promise. My second little bundle, Caleb, was a gift from heaven. He slept 3 - 4 hours at a time at night and I did nothing different. I truly believe it is just their individual personality. Emma is still my spit-fire to this day while few things get Caleb upset. Call me if you ever need any encouragement!!! Your Samuel James is a beautiful little guy and you remain a beautiful sleep-deprived mother.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Liz! I'm looking for your e-mail address now to drop you a line...