Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Ferberization of Samuel James: Day One


Being as:

1) John and I have not slept for more than about two hours at a time over the past few weeks, and

2) There is no question that Sam is getting enough to eat, and

3) Sam is about 3.5 months old, and

4) our next door neighbors are out of town for the next week or so

our doctor recommended we begin some sleep training ala a variation of the Ferber method, or, more commonly known as the "cry it out" method. Multiple friends have warned us that this is a heart-wrenching process and to be prepared to cry right along with him.

We are almost 4 hours into the process, and so far it's been a welcome relief. Instead of rocking Sam for 30 minutes while he's crying in order to get him to sleep, we let him cry in his crib for 15 minutes until he's gotten himself to sleep (we check in on him at various intervals...although his doctor said, "Well, if he's crying you know he's breathing).

I'm sure it will get tougher as we go along (especially tonight), but for now, this seems to be the kindest, most practical thing for Sam.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't remember how I came across your blog, but I've been one of the anonymous readers for a few months. We went to IWU at the same time.

I decided to comment when I read this post. My son is now 7.5 months and we let him cry it out also. It is heart wrenching, and there are days when you wonder if it's working, but now that I'm on the other side of it, it is definitely the best parenting decision we've made thus far. The reward is huge further down the road. Our home is so much more peaceful. Good luck.

Sharon said...

We had one kid who got up every night for 9 months (guess which one ;-) until we let him cry it out one Sunday...telling each other, "be strong, be strong"

Hang in there, Mandy & John!
Love,
Grandma

Mandy said...

Hey Mandy....I found your blog too, probably through linking to the endless IWU blogs...it's Mandy Elsberry now Houle. I echo Kristin's comment (hey kristen) as Dave and I had our first little girl this past year as well. The very day we started letting her cry there was an overwhelming since of peace in my "new mommy" unsettled heart. How is the "ferberization" going? So fun to see what people are up to through the blogging world!