Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Ferberization of Samuel James: Day Four


This picture shows Sam doing what Sam loves best...eating his hands. My friend, CJ says when Sam sees me coming he tries to stuff his hands in his mouth so I won't try to clip his fingernails (I might have accidentally clipped his fingers a few times).

Anyway, the ferberizing is going okay (and I should add we're doing a very modified version of this cry-it-out technique). About 70% of the time he puts himself to sleep in about 5 minutes. 15% of the time it takes 10-15 minutes. And then there is the remaining 15% when the poor guy cries for about 30-45 minutes.

He is sleeping better at night (he took a 5 hour stretch last night), and he is extremely happy when he's awake (which makes me think that he is finally getting the sleep that he needs). I try to keep these things in mind when he's crying.

By the way, if you're reading along at home and have advice for getting babies to sleep, I'm all ears. Don't worry about stepping on my toes.

Does anyone know where I could find a website that tracks a baby's sleep/eating? I'm looking for a free website but have not come across anything yet.

1 comment:

Erik Fisher said...

You are doing exactly what we did with Emily, although I think in our case we held off because of how premature Emily came. Also, some of this gets thrown out the window when they start teething, as well as weening...not what you want to hear...but from experience I can say that you are definitely making progress, and that is a good thing.