Monday, November 19, 2007

Feeling sorry for myself...

I'm feeling very sorry for myself. I'm at home in drizzly New Jersey by myself with a bad cold, a backache, and a body that has been pregnant for the past 36 weeks (John is in sunny San Diego at AAR where I'm sure he is drinking lemonaid and mingling with movie stars).

My most pathetic moment came yesterday afternoon when I mustered up the energy to go to the grocery store to buy a few items necessitated by my lovely cold (of course, the cold hit after John left for California, so I couldn't send him to do my bidding). After purchasing my items I stopped at the grocery store's Starbucks kiosk to purchase a caramel apple cider. After placing it in the cart's drink holder, I proceeded to push the cart to my car. In the middle of the parking lot, in the pouring rain, I hit a bump. My full cup of caramel apple cider flew up in the air and landed upside-down in one of my grocery bags, filling the bag with sticky goodness. I couldn't tell if I wanted to laugh or cry, so I just stood there for a minute or so. Did I mention it was raining at the time?

Not wanting my lovely trunk to get sticky, I proceeded to take out each sticky item in the bag and wipe it down the with the new box of kleenex I had just purchased. Whenever I have a cold I "reward" myself by buying the softest, most expensive tissues, and I was so annoyed to have to waste my tissues-with-lotion on cleaning up a spill.

Even as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that my pathetic moment doesn't sound nearly as pathetic as if felt. The black and whiteness of this post does not do justice to the pathetic-ness of my situation. You'll just have to trust me that it was very pathetic and that you would have felt very, very sorry for me had you seen me standing there in the pouring rain with a plastic bag full of chicken noodle soup and apple cider.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh poor Mandy! I have been sick all week and could relate to some of your trials and frustrations. I need to 'reward' myself with those fancy Kleenex, good idea. Hope you are feeling better soon!

JohnLDrury said...

That's so sad and not fun. I wish I could have been there to get your snax and prevent spillage.

Kathy said...

Oh Mandy! What a bummer. Don't you wish that the first passer by would come and say something like "Oh please get into your car. I will go back into the store and clean everything up for you and buy you a new box of kleenex and I will be back in 10 minutes".