Sunday, June 24, 2007

Six things I've learned in the past 15 weeks of pregnancy

1. People like to scare pregnant women. I don’t know how many conversations I’ve been a part of that go something like this:

Person: “So, are you tired?” (said with great compassion)

Me: “Yes.”

Person: “You can’t even begin to comprehend the meaning of tired.” (said with great malice).

People especially seem to like to scare pregnant youth pastors: "You like teenagers now, but I can't wait to see you when you have a 16-year-old terror.

2. Morning sickness does not always occur in the morning. It’s been night sickness for me.

3. Some people like to touch your belly…even if you don’t have one yet.

4. Apparently, I’m wearing a sticker that reads, “Hello my name is: Momma!” As far as I’m concerned, there’s only one person who can properly use that term…and that person’s vocal chords have only recently formed.

5. If a pregnant woman’s nausea is offset by the smell of anything minty, she should not live on the third floor of a dentist’s office.

6. I’m a bit of a food aversion/craving hypochondriac. Two of my very good friends are currently pregnant. When one friend said she drank cranberry juice all day long, I was delighted to discover that I, too, wanted to drink cranberry juice all day long. Not so delightful was when this same friend confessed an aversion to water. I suddenly realized that yes, water made me throw up as well.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Instead of craving foods, my last pregnancy I loved/craved the smell of the tire center in Sams club! MMMMMM...tire rubber! kathy :)

Scott Hendricks said...

Amanda, thank you for sharing the woes of carrying a child.

Also, thank you so much for always posting things to cheer us up! Your posts always make me laugh, so I usually pass them along to others. Please keep us laughing. (Oh, and you ARE aloud to be serious here, too. I wouldn't want you to feel the need to ONLY make us laugh.)

Kari said...

hahaha. that's hilarious. i loved number one.

Keith Drury said...

Mmmmmm... now I'm thirsty for Cranberry juice....

Christin said...

I too am a little wierded out when people touch my belly. It's always a shock. I'm always surprised that somehow they've penetrated the barrier of personal space and arrived at my abdomen.

On the other hand, it took so long for my belly to "pop out" that I have no qualms about lifting up my shirt and showing it off. This is a mistake, because pregnancy bellies are not necessarily beautiful to all people, including your not-pregnant girlfriends'husbands! :-/

Polartribe said...

My wife had the water aversion, but she did well with seltzer water - might be worth a try. : )

Tony Myles said...

We got a lot of that when we were expecting our first baby... all that, "You better enjoy those naps now while you can because when you're a dad/mom you won't get em anymore."

My favorite come back? I'd say, "Yeah, but what a cool trade, eh?"

Suddenly the comments stopped.