Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Birthday Boy

We must be getting close to Christmas because my in-box has been flooded with inspirational thoughts and stories concerning the day. Most of these forwards are reminders that it’s Jesus’ birthday, not ours. They are full of statements like, “How would you feel if on your birthday everyone got a present except for you?” and “I want to be invited to your party.” My in-box is flooded with warnings that if I do not remember it’s Jesus’ birthday I will hurt Jesus’ feelings.

This doesn’t sit well with me. For one thing, I think it makes Jesus sound like a spoiled child who doesn’t want to let go of his birthday. I mean, most of us get 70, 80, 90 years of birthdays to celebrate. Shouldn’t Jesus be happy that he’s had 2000 celebrations thus far? This whole birthday thing does not sit well with me.

I’m all for remembering Jesus birth, please don’t mishear me. But I want something more. I am not content remembering Christmas simply as the day Jesus was born. Christmas marks the coming down of God Incarnate. Christmas reminds us that God was fully in the man Jesus. Christmas is not about celebrating a birthday, it’s about celebrating the incarnation.

By simply calling Christmas Jesus’ birthday we are selling the day short. To simply remember Christmas as Jesus’ birthday is no different than celebrating the birth of any other great person. On Christmas Day we remember Jesus not simply as the birthday boy, but as God Incarnate. That’s the really meaning of Christmas.

5 comments:

Scott David Hendricks said...

Amen.

Jim and Jaena said...

I like this, Amanda. We have been trying to remind our 3 year-old that Christmas is more than presents and Santa. This has challenged me to show him that it is even more than we have been teaching him. Thanks! -Jaena

Nate said...

Good stuff and a good reminder. How are you doing and what are you doing now:)

Nate

Sharon D said...

good truth! was this the theme of your Christmas Sunday sermon?

(PS - you're the birthday girl tomorrow! Have a happy day!)

Larry said...

My spam intake today included a reminder of just how dangerous it can be to mock the Almighty.

The author recounted a list of people who had dissed God but lived to regret it, beginning with John Lennon who said in 1966 that the Beatles were more popular than Jesus Christ. Lennon was later shot six times! It took God only 14 years to find him.

Thank God for John Hinckley Jr. What would Jesus do without him?