Thursday, September 28, 2006

My T-Mobile Therapist

My phone died. This is the second time in four months I've had to call T-Mobile and request a new phone. I understand these things happen. I wasn't even annoyed. I like T-Mobile. I knew they would take care of me.

Both times I've called, however, I receieved some rather unexpected treatment. Here's a sampling of the dialogue I had both times I called:

Cindy: Hi you've reached Cindy from T-Mobile's Service Center, my employee number is XXXXXXXXX. How can I be of service today?
Mandy: Hi Cindy, my name is Mandy and I'm having trouble with my phone--
Cindy: Oh! I'm so sorry! That must be so frustrating for you. What seems to be the problem.
Mandy: Well, for the past week my phone has been turning off about 10 times a day, often during phone calls.
Cindy: I can only imagine how annoying that must be for you. And a whole week! You've been struggling with this for some time now, haven't you?
Mandy: Uh, I guess.
Cindy: Would you mind if I repeated back to you what I heard while I type it into the computer so that we can be sure to address the problems with your phone? I want to be sure that I am hearing you accurately.
Mandy: Sure.
Cindy: I'm hearing you say that your phone turns off about 10 times a day often in the middle of a conversation. Is that correct?
Mandy: Yes.
Cindy: I'm so glad that you called, we certainly want to take care of this problem. Right now I'm waiting for my computer to process this complaint....So how is the weather in Pennsylvania?
Mandy: It's okay. It's a little rainy.
Cindy: Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you could be enjoying nicer weather today.

And so it went...my T-Mobile therapist.

It was as if the death of my phone equaled the death of a close friend. The concern and care I recieved was better than any bedside manner I've receieved from a doctor. Three cheers for T-Mobile and their active listening skills!

(I should add, T-Mobile was not all talk. They delivered me a very nice new phone in a prompt manner, along with a box of chocolates and a note of apology...okay not really.)

10 comments:

Larry said...

I got similar treatment from Insight when my cable was out for two days.

The girl sounded so ashamed of their lousy service that I felt like a jerk for mentioning it.

But I notice that they continue sending bills ...

Stephanie said...

If only Verizon could be as helpful...

coach d said...

I feel taken for granted. (Verizon).

David Drury said...

I actually felt emotionally violated just reading this blog post. I can't imagine actually being on the phone call.

Yuck!
You guys actually like this?

Now I remember why I got rid of my cell phone.

*Heathluvsing* said...

This makes me very happy that customer service still exists in the USA. We were secret shoppers and I would have loved to got this lady and gave her a great recommendation.

She sounded great. And I agree with Stephanie when I say that Verizon has never been that helpful.

Brian B said...

I still am in awe of how, just a few years ago, I did not even have a cell phone. Now, when I leave for work or class in the morning, I pick up my keys, wallet, and cell phone. It is an integral part of our lives...well most of our lives...sorry Dave (Drury)! Oh and I heard that IWU is about to have a world class chapel speaker soon. I wonder who that could be?

Tony Myles said...

So instead of suicide hotlines should we be posting T-Mobile help numbers around our towns?

Christy Lipscomb said...

Okay, Amanda, give us a new post!!! ;)

rebekah said...

miss you my long lost friend

:)

Carolanne said...

OK, now that's not how it worked here in Australia. :( Last week, water got into our landline and the phone was down completely (read: not even internet) for 48 hours!
The cause? McDonalds is being built about 7 houses down and water got into the pipes. I am still waiting for McDonalds to apologise - even a voucher for a choc sundae would be good!
I wonder if a male employee would have been as understanding??