Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I've got a secret.

Not too long ago a seventh grader approached me after youth group. “Pastor Amanda,” she whispered nervously, “I really need to talk with you…privately.” As we walked down the hallway to my office I went through a mental list of what she could possibly have to share (eating disorders, divorce, suicide, etc.) We walked to my office and shut the door.

I braced myself for her news. She looked around nervously to make sure we were alone, and then she leaned her head in towards mine and whispered two words: “Prayer works.”

“What?”

“Prayer. It really works.”

I swallowed my surprise and asked her to explain. “I was having problems with someone, so I decided to pray about it every single day for a week. And we’re doing better now. Prayer works! It really works!”

I must confess, in the days that followed this exchange I had a patronizing spirit towards her. “Awww, sweet little mainline middle schooler just learned about the power of prayer."

And then I realized that I was having problems with a particular someone. I realized I hadn’t prayed about the situation. And so I prayed. I prayed for about a week—asking that God would help me to see things from his perspective.

At the end of the week I pulled the 7th grader aside. “Prayer works,” I whispered. She just smiled.

4 comments:

Erik said...

What is that pain I feel? Oh, is it conviction? About what? My complex thinking on simple things? Or my lack of prayer for the situation(s) I need to? Or, my doubt that it would do any good? Or the pride that lead to the doubt?

D. All of the above. Thanks for the story.

Gwen said...

Ahhh, simple faith. Thanks for a refreshing story that encouraged my heart today.

Nate said...

Amanda,

That is an awesome story - middle school students have the best hearts don't they.

nate

Tony Myles said...

That's the balance, isn't it? Allowing students the simplicity to believe while wondering how much of the "real world" we need to show them.

Then again... this world we live in isn't the "Real world," is it?

Maybe they're the ones showing us.