Wednesday, February 01, 2006

My New Favorite Dentist

Two weeks ago I woke up with a toothache. My gum was extremely swollen and I could not chew without shooting pain. Hoping it would go away on it's own, I ignored the throbbing all weekend while I oversaw a Lock-in, preached three Sunday morning sermons, and led youth group Sunday evening. In between these events I spent much time in front the mirror brushing and flossing. John gently encouraged/chided me to take better care of my teeth in the future.

I had not been to the dentist in over a year and a half and was dreading the inevitable visit. The one cavity I experienced in my lifetime turned into my one root canal.

I set up an emergency dental appointment the following Monday. After x-raying the troublesome tooth, the dentist made the following declaration:

"Stop flossing."

"What?" I asked, utterly perplexed.

He continued, "I don't normally tell my patients this, but don't floss for a few days. Your teeth are absolutely fine, you've just managed to really irritate the gum."

I went home and smugly reported the findings to John. I also quoted my new favorite dentist who said I had very nice teeth...his exact phrase was that I had "virgin teeth."

This story has been ruminating in my brain for the past few weeks. I'm certain it has all the makings of a good sermon illustration...I just don't know how.

So five points to the person who comes up with the best sermon illustration for this story. I'll take the winning illustration, scour scripture to find a text that is remotely connected and preach away! jk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be a case of fretting over (or trying to solve by human means)something that belongs to God.

Didn't Abraham do something similar by agreeing with Sara to have a child through Hagar after God had promised him a child?

Tony Myles said...

"The voice spoke from heaven a second time, 'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.'

(Acts 11:9)

David Drury said...

I like Tony's.

But you might also do some Purpose-Driven Prooftexting and use the following two verse together since they hit the tone of your experience:

Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance for I will turn her mourning into joy... and make her rejoice from her sorrow. - Jer 31:13

And...

Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them. - Sol 4:2

pk said...

Maybe it's possible to over-do personal devotions (flossing). Our spiritual lives get irritated and what we really need is to just rest in the Lord for a season (take a break from flossing).

Probably wouldn't apply to your average teenager ;-)

Christin said...

Maybe could tie into anxiety, somehow. Returning to something over and over again. Finding a problem where there is none.
Very jealous, by the way, that you've not been to the dentist for two years and have perfect teeth! Blast those flock of sheep teeth.