Thursday, October 27, 2005

Big Sick Baby

I'm sick. Very, very sick. After a whirlwind weekend in Michigan I returned home with a fever, sinus infection, strep throat, and fluid behind my ears. I was kept awake last night by a throbbing fingernail. I had to sleep sitting up so I could breath. I'm sick. Very very sick.

When I went to the doctor she said, "Now I'm not going to give you the 'wash-your-hands-a-lot-and-cover-your-mouth-when-you-cough' lecture because you're a woman and probably do those things anyway. Men are a different story. They're just big babies." I gave a nervous laugh (mostly because John could beat me in a cleanliness competition any day of the week).

John was sick last week. Whenever someone finds out that John has been sick, they always ask, "Is John a big baby when he's sick?" I normally say "yes." He asks for tea, medicine, movies, etc. He sits on the couch, blanket wrapped around his shoulders while giving the "Pop-I-think-I-have-the-black-lung" cough (ala "Zoolander").

Normally, when I get sick, I'm just a little baby...I ask John to pour me a drink of water, but I get my own medicine. I ask him to adjust the temperature while I get my own book.

But then I started thinking: what do I possibly have to gain by suppressing the big baby inside of me? What do I get out of being a martyr? Why do I try to prove to John that I can take care of myself? Am I trying to impress him? Surely walking around like a zombie in my bathrobe, with Marge Simpson slippers, and Kleenex stuffed up my nose won't impress anyone. If anything, it shows a lack of intelligence.

So yesterday, on my way home from the doctor, I decided that I was going to try being a big baby. I got home and sat on the couch. I asked John to do menial task after menial task. He adjusted the temperature, volume, my feet, etc. He fetched lunch, dinner, water, snacks, books, movies, etc. I was a complete baby, and John rose to the occasion...he even seemed honored!

So that's the little lesson that I recently learned--that sometimes it's better to just be the big baby.

By the way, with the gravity of my illness, I have been unable to keep up with normal e-mail correspondence...So I apologize to anyone who is waiting on e-mails from me. I'll have John respond to you ASAP. I am very, very sick after all.

8 comments:

Gwen said...

Mandy! Enjoy being a big baby!! I think it must make one feel like a little kid when our moms use to take care of us while we cuddled up under blankets on the couch. You know, chicken noodle soup, ginger ale, toast . . . now our husbands take over and it sounds like John is taking very good care of you.

Kudos to John for serving you so well!

Maybe this is a good time to watch the next season's Alias. May good health return soon!

Erik said...

Black Lung! Hahahahahahaha!

I can so see that.

Yeah, Beth and I have this too, but she learned early on to be a baby. She does the routine of couch, movies, tea, bed, rotate.

At least when John is sick you take care of him...in my house I am on my own!

Bigger question...are men or women the bigger baby?...or does it depend upon the poerson entirely?

Amanda said...

Gwen:

Fortunately, Season 4 came out on Oct. 25.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until tomorrow for it to grace my mailbox.

Erik:

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person...maybe women tend to vocalize the situation more, so it only SEEMS like men are the bigger babies. I don't know. I'd have to do some web-based research to give you a more definitive answer.

By the way, I have two new best friends:
1. Z-Packs
2. Chloraseptic Sore Throat Relief Strips (they are like the bad breath Listerine strips only they numb your throat...amazing).

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I'm a big baby too. But my wife will only give me little baby amenities. Wish I would have married John.

Adam

Amanda said...

Adam:

John just read this post and said that he couldn't tell the difference between the "little baby me" and the "big baby me." So maybe you could be a big baby and your wife wouldn't be able to tell the difference?

Amanda

Keith.Drury said...

Poor sweet baby... here have a Kleenex...no take the whole box! want some green tea? How about if I get you a pillow from the bed? No, I don't carry away used Kleenex..ask John for that!

Christin said...

Mandy you are so adorable -- for a big baby, anyway.;-)

Tony Myles said...

Did you know that you and your hubby are on-line?

http://hollandsentinel.com/images/
040702/HontzDruryengage.jpg

Gotta love the power of google.