Wednesday, June 15, 2005

My mom says I'm cool.

Conversation between two teenagers in 1845 AD
#1: I've missed you. Send me a letter some time.
#2: A letter? Ugh. That is so out. Everyone sends telegrams these days.

Conversation between two teenagers in 1880AD
#1: I've missed you. Send me a telegram some time.
#2: A telegram? Ugh. That is so out. Everyone makes phone calls these days.

Conversation between two teenagers in 1994 AD
#1: I've missed you. Give me a call some time.
#2: A call? Ugh. That is so out. Everyone sends e-mails these days.

Conversation between two teenagers in 2002 AD
#1: I've missed you. Send me an e-mail some time.
#2: An e-mail? Ugh. That is so out. Everyone IMs these days.

Just when I thought I was hip for starting a blog, I found out that I was actually behind the times. I asked some of the students in the youth group for their blog addresses and was met with blank stares:

"A blog? What's a blog?" one girl asked
"It's your own personal website that you--"
"Oh, is it like a Xanga?"
"A what?" I asked.
"A Xanga. You know, an on-line journal for all your friends to see?"
"Oh. Right."

So much for my attempt at hipness.

Conversation between two teenagers in 2005AD
#1: I've missed you. Check outmy blog some time.
#2: A blog? Ugh. That is so out. Everyone uses Xangas these days.

5 comments:

pk said...

I still think you're emergent Mandy.

Christin said...

I know what you mean!! Myspace is all the rage with the students at my work! They talk about Xanga too. I feel your pain.;-)

The Cubicle Reverend said...

It is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

JohnLDrury said...

ahhhh ... the requisite skill for youth ministry rears its head: adaptability

The Cubicle Reverend said...

And the other requisite is that you realize you are completely out of touch and uncool. Oddly enough, it is these qualities exactly that will make you in their eyes cool