Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Mandy's Book Club

I'm not Oprah, but I do have a list of books to recommend:

Favorite Fiction:

  1. Jane Eyre--Charlotte Bronte--This is my all-time favorite, must read book. With all of the theological implications packed in this novel, I suppose I could include it in the theological reading list. Do not be deceived by the title, this is not just a "girl" book.
  2. East of Eden--John Steinbeck--This is another book that appeals to both men and women. Landscape is a large component in this book. It's an "epic" book that follows a family through a few generations. This is one of Keith Drury's favorite books as well.
  3. The Scarlet Pimpernel--Baroness Orczy Emmuska--Who knew the French Revolution could be so fun. This book is just plain fun. It's a pretty easy read--a bit sensational, but I don't feel guilty since it's written by a "Baroness."
  4. Glittering Images --Susan Howatch--This is a must for anyone in the ministry. Howatch has a series of novels that follow the lives of various priests in the Anglican Church. This book explores spiritual pride, double lives, sexual immorality, etc. These books are my new addiction. Be sure to read them in order.
  5. Me Talk Pretty One Day--David Sedaris--Okay, so technically this book doesn't belong under the title "fiction," but I didn't want to start another category. This book is a compilatation of witty, sarcastic short stories.

Theology Readings:
  1. An Introduction to the Theology of Religions: Biblical, Historical & Contemporary Perspectives--Veli-Matti Karkkainen--Wow. This book explains and evaluates the positions of many popular theologians regarding Christianity's relationship with other religions (Newbigin, Hick, Heim, Pannenberg, Barth, etc.). This book is both thorough and readable.
  2. Christ the Center--Dietrich Bonhoeffer--Although Bonhoeffer is best known for The Cost of Discipleship, this is by far my favorite Bonhoeffer book. Bonhoeffer takes a serious look at Christology and explores how Jesus became sin.

Practical Theology Readings:
  1. Testimony: Talking Ourselves into Being Christian--Tom Long--This book and the one below are by far my favorite preaching books. This is an easy read with big potential for life change.
  2. What's the Matter with Preaching Today? Edited by Mark Graves--This book is based on Fosdick's article written 75 years ago for Harpers Magazine. The book contains essays by most of the major homileticians today ( Thomas G. Long, Barbara Brown Taylor, Cleophus J. Larue, Fred Craddock, Eugene L. Lowry).
  3. Nonviolent Communication--Marshall B. Rosenberg--I wish this was required reading for all human beings. I can't keep this book on my shelf--people keep borrowing it. This has been a life-changing book for me in my relationships.
  4. Practicing Passion--Kenda Dean--Great book on youth ministry.
  5. Runaway Bunny--Margaret Wise Brown--Yes, this is a kids book. You could preach a month long sermon series on God's love with this book.
  6. Listening for God--Marilyn Hontz--I love it. I'm biased.
May Reading
  1. Mystical Paths--Susan Howatch
  2. The Meaning of Jesus--Marcus Borg and N.T. Wright
  3. Plan B--Anne Lamott

4 comments:

The Cubicle Reverend said...

I just read Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. Highly recommend it. Also, Dangerous Wonder, By Mike Yaconelli.

Dibs said...

Hey Mandy!
Thanks for the book tips, pardon the pun. (I'm the guy with the missing finger tips that you thoughtfully purchased fake finger nails for...I'm still in counseling. ;)

I'm currently reading or have just read:
Searching For God Knows What - Donald Miller
The Only Necessary Thing - Nouwen
A Resilient Life - Gordon MacDonald
Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey
A Hidden Wholeness- Parker Palmer

Amanda said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Dave.

Were the fake fingernails before or after I broke your leg in that Aussie parking lot? I can't remember...

Dibs said...

Doggone it Smanders! After prolonged counseling, I recently put the Aussie parking lot fiasco behind me, and now you open the wound!