Friday, May 27, 2005

I want YOU!

I asked my nineteen-year-old coworker why she wanted to join the army.

"I don't know," she said. "I guess I just wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself."

This struck me as odd. Something bigger than herself? Why the army? Why the army, where she will be physically, mentally, and emotionally challenged. Where a superior officer will set rules that will dictate her life and bark out commands that she is expected to unapologetically follow. Where she'll have to leave her mother, father, and sisters and move to a foreign land where she'll most likely encounter scorn from others. Why join the army and run the risk of losing her very life all because she wants to join something bigger than herself?

Why not just join the church? Wouldn't that be simpler?



Kenda Dean says that teenagers come to us looking for something to die for... and we give them pizza. I am 34 days away from being an official, real-life youth pastor and my heard is swarming with thoughts of transcendence and fidelity.


6 comments:

Josh said...

First post on another blog. Just wanted to say hi...for the both of us.

Great start!

Gwen said...

Mandy. . . so great to read your thoughts. I just came upon your blog today. So glad I did. I'll be checking back again.

Dibs said...

Smanders,
Just remember what you've learned from your Sea Quest experience in Sydney. For students, pizza still is king!

bek said...

latiply quarkle dorkin parshley...
(for always)

The Cubicle Reverend said...

Hope you are ready for what lays ahead of you as a youth worker. Means there is something wrong with you and that is a good thing.

Marcia said...

Wow! Thank you! I like Kenda's comment! (Well, maybe not like..."am challenged by" is more appropriate!) I got involved in a lot of "stuff" at that age because Christianity didn't seem big enough to deserve my whole life. But God is God...he got his point across!